A real gem in a green setting, Jaunay Lake offers you a preserved nature on 114 hectares.
That you are fishing enthusiasts, sports activities, water activities, Geocaching or simply in search of relaxation, you will find your happiness on its banks. This natural space is the ideal spot to have a good time out of time with family or friends.
From the morning mist to the warm colors of the sunset, Jaunay lake fills your eyes and senses. 114 hectares of nature and simple sensations.
History of Lac du Jaunay
The Lake of Jaunay only 40 years old! In reality, it is a drinking water reservoir built in the 1970s thanks to the construction of a dam in the town of Landevieille. This reservoir is fed by the small Jaunay river which has its source in Venansault, about 17 km away as the crow flies.
When it was impounded in 1978, the inhabitants of the surrounding area saw the landscape change; a village remains submerged at the bottom of the lake, the depth of which can reach 6 m. The Grange de la Baudrière on the left bank, is one of the last witnesses of this past.
Our favourite: the observatory walkway
Located at a place called Le Moulin des Rochelles at the Chapelle-Hermier, in the privacy of the end of the lake, where the Jaunay river gives rise to the water reservoir, hides a small wooden footbridge.
Surrounded by lush vegetation and lulled by the songs of birds, you can observe local wildlife. Several educational panels will help you identify the feathered inhabitants of this green oasis. Gray herons, cormorants, great crested grebes and kingfishers will no longer hold any secrets for you.
A beautiful place still preserved, where one is quiet, far from the crowds that throng the coast.
The banks of the Jaunay
Each shore of Lac du Jaunay offers you a setting, an atmosphere and its share of discoveries. These shores have been developed into leisure areas.
As soon as the fine weather returns, families meet there for a moment of relaxation. Observe, pedal, walk, fish, sail ; are so many ways to approach your visit to Jaunay!
To go from one to the other, you just have to take the road bridge located between La Baudrière and Châteaulong.
- At a place called La Baudrière, on the left bank, choose your boat and let yourself glide along the water with Canoes of Jaunay ! La Grange de La Baudrière, owned by the municipality of Saint-Julien-des-Landes, regularly hosts family events, starting points for hikes but also nature activities during summer holidays. Jaunay'Scapades Wednesdays in the summer.
- Overlook Lake Jaunay from Chateaulong at La Chapelle-Hermier, on the other side of the bridge. A car park allows you to park freely to go for a walk, fish, start a geocaching trail or take your most beautiful instragrammable photo in front of the cart where a majestic view awaits you!
- On the other side of the lake, on the right bank, there is no shortage of activities at a place called “Le Pré”. After having taken a hiking trail or practiced a water activity, you can eat on the panoramic terrace of the Auberge du Jaunay or contemplate the works exhibited at the Grenier du Pré each summer.
Several hikes take their departure around the Jaunay. A map will show you these trails, the activities, as well as the picnic areas ideal for a lunch break! It is available free of charge at the Pays des Achards Tourist Office or can be downloaded below. Lac du Jaunay is obviously the ideal place to your running sessions !
Good to know
• Swimming and thermal motor boats are prohibited on the entire lake.
• You can come with your own boat (canoe, kayak, paddle, sail, etc.) and use the pontoons at La Baudrière and Le Pré.
JAUNAY LAKE – LEFT BANK
02 51 05 90 49Calculate my route